The Jazz Disturbance Playlist...But First...

Good morning...kinda....



Not the best few weeks in jazz, huh? From The NewYorker’s recent “satire” piece (and let's be clear - it was after the debacle that the paper identified it as a "humor blog") initially and erroneously credited to saxophonist Sonny Rollins to this week’s Washington Post Op-Ed diatribe from some very disgruntled-sounding former jazz student, America’s “Classical” music took a few jabs to the ribs. I could waste a lot of my time and yours deconstructing this latest rant against the music – like his Wayback Machine reference to jazz-rap group Us3 and alt-hip-hop trio Digable Plantets – but instead, I’ll waste just a bit. In my opinion it’s rehashed rubbish on the topics that have dogged jazz for decades (Rollins talks about this in his Google Hangouts appearance.) If I were Anthony Braxton, one of his teachers at Wesleyan University, I’d take a Fake Book and clock him with it.  For those of you who listen to The Jazz Disturbance on Thursday evenings on WGXC 90.7 FM, you know that most of my show is made up of current releases.  Why?  For one reason, unlike the author of the Op-Ed piece, I hear the music evolving every week, especially when juxtaposed next to the works of iconic Jazz figures like Ellington or Ella or Ornette. When is the last time this author listened to a Jazz (or whatever you’d like to call it) program or attended a Jazz concert or festival? Pianist Marcus Roberts said in his recent interview with me that there are more young people playing Jazz now than when he was a kid.  Maybe this author should have stood up at Mr. Roberts’ masterclass last week and told those young players to keep their day job trashing Jazz in print!

On a lighter now, I’ve received very good comments on my recent interviews, content-wise as well as on the editing (getting’ better at Audacity, for sure!), which makes me smile.  The one that just aired on Saturday with my ‘GXC radio colleague Tim Livingston was super! Not every interview that I've done is with a jazz artists, by the way.  I really like the creative process of engaging with different folks on different things.  I'm crafty that way!

O.K, I could use a mental break right now….I think I’ll go wash my car…


THE JAZZ DISTURBANCE
w/Cheryl K.
PLAYLIST
8/7/14


WGXC 90.7 FM
Hudson, NY
Thursdays, 7p-9:30p

PLAYLIST
ARTIST/SONG/TITLE/LABEL

M. Allison/That’s Alright/Autumn Song/Prestige [2:26]
D. Basse/Sins of the Father/The Hero and The Lover…/Café Pacific [3:27]
S. Helbing/The Silent Watcher/Handprints/Armored [3:47]
A. Rathbun/Sleep Please/Numbers & Letters/Steeplechase [5:42]
S. Khan/Infant Eyes/Subtext/Tone Center [8:31]
T. Lincoln/If I Knew Then/Toni Lincoln/Nu Wrinkle [2:42]
C. Apicella/The Selma March/Big Boss/Zoho [6:49]
N. Cline/Companion Piece/Macroscope/Mack Avenue [5:37]
J. P. Curtis/Longest Day/Faux Bourgeois Café/J.P. Curtis [5:31]
S. Rollins/Way Out West/Way Out West/Contemporary [6:28]
S. Rollins/Street Runner with Child/OST: Alfie/Impulse! [3:59]
S. Rollins/You Don’t Know What Love Is/Saxophone Colossus/Prestige [6:28]
S. Rollins/Toot Toot, Tootsie/The Sound of Sonny/Riverside [4:20]
L. Bloch/Baby Suite/Feathery13th Note [11:33]
F. Peikli/Dark Voyage/Royal Flush/Rex [6:12]
M. Feinberg/But the Sound…/Live at 800 East/Behip [11:57]
Gato Libra/Rainy Day/Dudu/Libra [8:22]
J. Ajemian/Ask Mr. Blount Now/Folklords/Delmark [12:18]
S. Fujii/Bi Ga Do Da/Shiki/Libra [10:06]





Until we meet again....





Comments

Popular Posts