The Jazz Disturbance Playlist....Gosh...



...I know it’s been a while…completely missed posting The Jazz Disturbance Playlist and Calendar last week….and it’s not like I haven’t had things to discuss with you….but, y’know….excuses upon excuses……O.K., let me just pick up, start here and get on with it….


I’m closing out the summer feeling rather accomplished in one area of my simple life – reading.  It’s back on the menu and I’m so happy.  I was a hungry reader as a kid but then got saddle with adult responsibilities – work, paying bills, marriage, home ownership – that syphoned off my reading time. But I’ve released myself from involvement in time-consuming, soul- and brain-draining activities, like watching cable - been without it for three years and saved some do-re-mi $$$$. I had to ask myself how many more reruns of Charmed can you watch while making dinner? (and I never watched the damn show when it was on!)  The answer was to drop the habit and pick up an old one, reading.

I was at a used, homey bookstore inHillsdale, NY and happened upon The Nat Hentoff Reader by the well-regarded journalist of the Wall St. Journal and numerous other publications. In the Reader's Introduction, Hentoff mentions Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler, a book "about Stalin's Russia" in the Introduction.  It so happened that that book was for sale at the  bookstore so I bought it. I recently finished it and have dove into Eldridge Cleaver’s Soul On Ice, another find at this bookstore. Now, I’m like my husband who already has unread books on our shelves.  I’ll get to them before I die, for sure, but my approach to reading now is to lay my hands on books that speak to where I am in the world presently.  Right now my stomach burns with the hot coals of revolt, outspokenness and resistance against the status quo, but never impertinence. I do believe in getting one’s point across in quieter ways, like not supporting what I believe is corrupting our very existence, mmmmmm, like cable.


O.K., let us catch up here with the last two weeks of The Jazz Disturbance, shall we?




THE JAZZ DISTURBANCE
w/Cheryl K.
PLAYLIST AND NEW RELEASES
8/21/14


WGXC 90.7 FM
Hudson, NY
Thursdays, 7p-9:30p


PLAYLIST
ARTIST/SONG/TITLE/LABEL

E. Jones/Looking Back/Holler!/Prestige [3:41]
J. Colella, Putter Smith/All Blues/Lotus Blossom/The American Jazz Institute [6:22]
C. Lefkowitz-Brown/Where the Wild Things Are/Imagery Manifesto/C. Lefkowitz-Brown [9:28]
R. Carter/Announcement 1 by Ron Carter/In Memory of Jim/Somethin' Else [:41]
R. Carter/There Will Never Be Another You/In Memory of Jim/Somethin' Else [10:48]
R. Blake, D. Eade/The Thrill is Gone/Whirlpool/Jazz Project [3:25]
M. Bisio/Zephyr Revisited/Travel Music/M. Bisio [3:37]
Western Jazz Quartet/Everything is Hostile/Freefall/Blujazz [5:32]
G. Gibbs/Here Comes Ron/Thrasher Dream Trio/Whaling City [3:48]
R. Carter/Opus 1.5/Yellow & Green/CTI [6:54]
Count Basie/April in Paris/ Youtube: Blazing Saddles [:59]
C. Apicella/Idris/Big Boss/Zoho [6:17]
S. Jones/I Don't Give a Damn Blues/im.pro.vise/Mack Avenue [7:14]
D. Alexander/Soul Serenade/Songs My Mother Loves/Blujazz [4:54]
R. Carter/Announcement 2 by Ron Carter/In Memory of Jim/Somethin' Else [:28]
R. Carter/Bag's Groove/In Memory of Jim/Somethin' Else [10:48]
R. Carter/Tenaj/Yellow & Green/CTI [7:41]
J. C. Phillips, Jr./Of Climbing Heaven and Gazing on the Earth/Vipassana/Innova [17:57]
R. Carter/Yellow & Green/Yellow & Green/CTI [6:10]




THE JAZZ DISTURBANCE
w/Cheryl K.
PLAYLIST AND NEW RELEASES
8/28/14


WGXC 90.7 FM
Hudson, NY
Thursdays, 7p-9:30p


PLAYLIST
ARTIST/SONG/TITLE/LABEL

E. Hines/Medley: Black Coffee/Blusette/I’ve Got The World on a String/A Night at Johnnie’s/Black & Blue [7:58]
B. Greene/I Waited for You/Source/Jazz Legacy Productions [6:51]
A. Cohen/Dark Nights, Darker Days/Dark Nights/Anzic [7:04]
W. Leo Smith/Lake Huron/The Great Lakes Suites/TUM [17:23]
R. Sivan/Useless Landscape/For Emotional Use Only/Fresh Sound [4:07]
A. Mette Iverson/Chapter Two/So Many Roads/BJU [10:40]
F. Walton/Hipssippi Blues/Live In Chicago/Han-Wal Productions [9:11]
L. Young/Neenah/The Greatest Jazz Recordings of All Time/Institute of Jazz Studies [5:00]
L. Fuller/Django/Larry Fuller/Capri [6:37]
Rebirth Brass Band/Move Your Body/Move Your Body/Basin Street [4:59]
D. Harrison/Ja-Ki-Mo-Fi-Na-Hay/Big Chief/Past Perfect-Silver Line [5:12]
W. Leo Smith/Lake Ontario/The Great Lakes Suites/TUM [9:12]
J. Steig/Piece of Freedom/Legwork/Solid State [6:02]
Hexlove/Duskin Grease/Your Love of Music Will Be an Important Part of Your Life/Porter [8:20]
F. Walton/Untitled/Live In Chicago/Han-Wal Productions [12:49]




Until we meet again....real soon!

Comments

Popular Posts